Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Soul Purpose

We've had such interactions, such connections, such shakes! Comfort zones are called that for a reason, right? We "zone" in our comfort. As much as we like them, I am learning that they can also become toxic and danger zones. Everything about this trip for me is a shake to that danger. A throwing up of my fist to comfort- even though I am unsure of what to expect, and at times completely uncomfortable.  The reward is obvious. I am soaking in this discomfort, and finding treasures for not only my characters, but myself.


Saturday, Janet and I sort of wake up slow, and wonder what our day has for us. It's a "Bring It" unspokenness that we are dealing with. We've seen the burning bush, and we know that somehow this is a blessed journey. From Janet's perspective, and her expressions, I am experiencing it more than I actually would have if I were alone. It's like watching your child discover Disneyland for the first time. It's comical, and awe inspiring...and I am learning from seeing her response that the "zone" we have walked into is really fun and cool, and not at all ordinary. So our day continues...


My friends at "Paws Here" had recommended a restaurant called Cafe Lux in the city. Diane said that it was a nice place to look around. It happened to be right around the corner from our hotel, (of course), and so we both thought while we waited on Brent's return text (to see when he could get us into Harpo) that we'd lunch. As we were walking we looked up and saw the restaurant right in front of us. It was on the second floor, and had panoramic windows that looked out to the city. Janet said, "Wow- how nice it would be to have that view." Meaning the table overlooking town. We both imagined that was a special request; so we just gave our name at the desk and said "two- first available." It was about a twenty minute wait. The restaurant was huge- tons of tables, and it reminded me of an upper scale Cheesecake Factory. It was beautifully decorated, and did I mention the view? Our pager  buzzed and low and behold the host directed us to the table that Janet had said would be nice to sit in. I know, I know, at this point it must sound like hyperbole. It must sound like I am fabricating details to fit what I want the trip to be, but I am not. We sat down, and started laughing- once again saying "Of Course!" Even our waiter said, "You didn't request this table?" When we shook our heads no, she said "When the universe smiles upon you just smile back!" or something to that effect. So we sat in this amazing table and smiled. Janet and I, if I recall barely spoke, other than to comment on all the "fancy" people coming in and out of Cartier below. We commented on how the beautiful cars sat out front, and the passerby's (men) would all look at the cars, and the women did not. We counted how many times this happened until it was too many to count. We soaked in the universe's gift, and enjoyed the view, and some homemade warm cookies for dessert- why not?


Brent texted back mid lunch and said he couldn't give us a tour until Sunday. Janet was leaving early that morning, and was debating whether or not to change her flight. It was a tough call. I didn't know how to direct her because Brent had said the studio had been disassembled, and we aren't sure how much of Oprah Show would be visible, or recognizable. There were no guarantees, and the expense was a gamble.


As we were leaving the restaurant, we decided to check off some of the itinerary of Chicago. We go to the beach side, people watch, and check out the pier. It's crowded, and carnivalesque, and over touristy. The energy form our journey is quickly depleting with every step further down the boardwalk. Janet looks at me and says, "what d'ya think?" I tell her I've seen enough- and to my excitement she says "How quickly can we get out of here?" This is the kind of thing that could send my invisible Genie home. No magic here- just a commercialized good time. Everyone recommended a boat ride. The architecture is beautiful here, and the lake is spectacular- so we decide on this.  We buy some tickets, and decide to go to a restaurant called the "Purple Pig" even though we aren't really hungry, but a summer drink sounds fun. It just so happens that after Janet gets home and looks up the restaurant she discovers it was rated the number one new restaurant n the US by Bon Appetit, but did you really have any doubt, at this point? Needless, to say, the food is so good. We eat bone marrow with herb spread, spring peas with a zap of mint...this was a mouth holiday, considering all the canned chicken salad I'd had on my road trip. Absolute joy. We finished our boat tour and learned mostly nothing from our narrator, Mr. Mumblkins, but it was still beautiful to see the city from this perspective even if I couldn't understand anything about the history.


As we are leaving the boat and walking back on Michigan Ave, I look up and casually see a high school friend walking by (who actually had emailed me a few days earlier saying she was following my trip, and told me to have a great time in Chicago, that they were also passing through). Kim McAfee was walking toward her family, who was car watching as we walked by ( boys- car watching...full circle). "Kim?" I look over at Janet who is shaking her head and laughing. Kim looks up and gives me a big hug. She says,"Hey kids this is the 'Tear Drop Lady'" which is pretty funny,  and then to me, "There are 8 million people in this city- and we run into each other? What are the chances?" I'm thinking based on our score over the last couple days the chances are amazing!


So Saturday leaves us full bellied, and assured that coming to Chicago was good for both Janet and me. Janet feels renewed, she tells me. She regains faith in the world. She has been at a place where many of us find ourselves at different points in our lives when we lose sight of our hope and our purpose. Sometimes life gives us a bum hand, and we forget that eventually the deal will get reshuffled, and our chance will come. I think she views this trip, and all the silly remarkable, and meaningful coincidences and experiences as more than chance. How being mindful of choices can change outcomes, and make us feel alive, and reminded that each one of us has purpose. We ride the storm, and along the way experience small, sweet, yummy gifts. I also am reminded this. Even though my trip is based on a sole purpose it seems that it's also been a soul purpose on many levels.


Today was a little break from the actual script and story development, but I think it was a vacation day. A renewing for the drive home. A reflection, and celebration. I leave Sunday. But before I do- Harpo awaits! It'll be hard to sleep. 

















1 comment:

  1. This one brought tears to my eyes and a chill to my bones. I can't get enough and I'm glad there was a new entry awaiting me tonight! I love you and can't wait to see you in the OC.

    ReplyDelete