Saturday, July 14, 2012

Why Not??? Day 5 or 6 (..I can't keep track).

I woke up looking for Cooper, and looking for the ceiling of the tear drop from inside.  I was in a hotel bed with great sheets, and air conditioning- Cooper was at the Doggie Daycare, and I had made it to Chicago. It was all coming clear to me: Today was going to be a great day!


I'm thinking somewhere between San Francisco and Illinois- a Genie snuck into my trip, and gave me wishes I was unaware of. It seems that my thoughts keep getting manifested- good and bad, and although, my life is usually one that banks on luck- this trip seems like it's luck on steroids. Janet, my Louisiana friend stopped at one point and said "Do these things always happen to you?" And even though I wanted to say "Yes!" because on some level, I realize things happen to me that don't happen to others, this trip seems excessive.


One thing I love about Summer in other states is that it rains. When we go to Montana in the summertime we get these incredible thunderstorms. Out of nowhere the sky turns black, and the rain and sky become violent. There is something ominous about this, and so as Janet and I started off on our first day in the city, I thought- it'd be great to get some weather while we are here. Genie wish number 1! We are walking to get our first Chicago slice of pizza. The sky turns dark. We are wondering if we should get an umbrella. I tell Janet, "Walking in the rain is nice!" She says, "What if you meet Oprah? DO you want to be a drowned rat, for that?" Good point.


I should probably pause here for a minute and reveal a little something about my script. My story line has something to do with Oprah- hence the drive to Chicago. I've told people this, but I am not telling people in Chicago this because it wouldn't be authentic. I just am here to research, and get information, and gain clues for my character. I want to be, as my character would be, and not as her writer. 


We stop into a pizza place recommended by our hotel. Pizano's Pizza. Outside the rain has started to fall. It's a perfect Chicago day. We order a beer, and a pizza. Our waiter is adorable. He keeps saying his name is Saul (pronounced Sall), but he's Mexican, and I'm struggling saying his name like that. I'm from California, and I teach at a predominantly Hispanic School where names like Juan, Jose, Beatriz, Araceli are our "John" and "Mary" alternatives. So to say "Sall" doesn't fit. I guess in Chicago, Spanish isn't the second language. So I ask him, "You mean Sa oool?" His smile gets big. He says, "Yes. It is Sa- ule!" And thats what we call him from there on out. I'm a big name person. Having the name Jeneane all my life created this. Most times people would get it wrong, and act like it was no big deal. I think it's a big deal- it's everyone's first connection to one another. Get it wrong- then everything is off from the get go. 


Saul brings us our drinks, and pizza. as he is setting it down he says, "This is on the Oprah List of Best Chicago Pizza!" Janet and I start to laugh. Enchanted, once again. We ask him to tell the camera this, and he gives us a sweet interview. Later as the rain storms outside a ceiling tile falls at the bar right in front of us. We are all a little shaken up, but for me this feels like more weather, and reminds me of surprise, and how anything can happen. I'm ready to be taken away by all the surprises that this two day journey has to offer. I love that Janet is also ready and has come with the attitude of "Why Not?"


Before we leave, Saul brings us over a free dessert. He says it's on the house. Janet and I are thrilled. Blessed, once again- next stop Harpo Studios. 


By the time we leave Pizano's the rain has cleared. For a Chicago Summer- we hit the perfect weather. Have I mentioned how clean and nice the city is? Janet and I decided when we walked into the subway terminal, that it was so clean you could eat off the floor. At Disneyland, there is a street sweeper every few yards, and I can't help but feel like this is a "real life" version of that.  I kept waiting to see one in Chicago. I swear, it was like Fantasyland walking through town. The streets were lined with beautiful flower boxes, and wide streets. Tons of green belts, and at every turn you could see the beautiful lakes and canals. 


We arrive at Harpo Studio. Janet and I hear the angels sing- or at least the harps were playing. The heavens opened up, and we saw it straight ahead. Harpo Studio is a bit outside of the main part of the city. It takes up a whole block. We take tons of pictures, and then meet Thomas and another man walking by. They take our picture, and talk with us about Oprah. They know her- see her all the time. Said she's done so much for the community. Said that "This use to be skid row" but that Oprah changed things. 


 
We leave Harpo. I don't tell Janet this, but as nice as it was to see the outside of the building, I was hoping to see more. I was "hoping" we'd run into someone leaving work that was nice enough to say, "Want a tour?" I know, I know...this is a ridiculous thought. I throw it out there to my invisible Genie, regardless. It didn't happen, and  I wish it had...so we leave. It's a little late. We are tired. We need a nap. We'll go to the hotel, and then head out later to dinner to a place Janet is really looking forward to- a chef by the name of Bayless. We supposedly, need reservations month in advance, but we're going to take our chances!

1 comment: