Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Landing After Flying Hurts...

I say good-bye to Janet. I call the front desk to help me with my cooler that I have repacked four different times, hoping the ice will keep the food cold. I haven't shopped for groceries since I left Orange County- all food has lasted, so far. I text Brent, letting him know I'll be there shortly, and I am off to Harpo, and then to Cooper, and then home!


I am a self doubter. I avoid, and ignore pressing details. I don't trust my own thoughts. As I walk to the car, and load the back, I notice that my back right tire looks low. I think it must be my imagination. I'm not very good at "car stuff" and can't imagine why my tire is low. The car has been sitting in the parking garage for 2 and a half days, and I had the car serviced before I left. I am hopeful that I am wrong. I ignore the thought.


I arrive outside of Harpo Studios. I text Brent that I am here, and then I see he and his friend walking toward me in bike helmets. It's a hot day- I can't imagine biking in this heat. He introduces me to his friend Alex. I was excited about getting a private tour of Harpo Studio, but I had no idea how excited I was until I walked through the doors. Brent got me a visitors pass, and when I saw it, and realized I 
was inside the studio, I was unleashed. I was grinning, and squealing, on every turn. Things like "Oh my god- she's so cute!" and "Oh my goodness, this is her stage! I feel the energy in this room!" Alex and Brent were cracking up. Alex said, "This makes your day? Watching your reaction is making ours!" I was quite a spectacle, I admit. But if you can't show your giddy playful side at Oprah Studio, then when can you? It wasn't just the actual studio that affected me, but what being there represented. Less than a year ago- after my workshop in Toronto- I was laying on my bed. I had an idea of a story, and a character. I wanted to write about a woman who is weak, and has lost sight of her internal compass. Who has bought into the idea of "male centered universe"- one where women are discounted, and when they are married, or domesticated- is when they are validated. This character can't find her worth in a world that won't recognize her. So, I had this internal struggle, but that isn't a story. It's just a theme. I was laying on my bed and was pounding out "What's her goal? What does she want?"

Without revealing too much about my story- I came up with an answer to that question, and Oprah becomes a part of her Journey. I'll share more about the details of my script once I am finished with the draft. But regardless, Being at the Oprah Studio is surreal. It's a gift that has been given to me for taking a step. I feel this while I am in her chair, looking at her pictures, and seeing all the back taping rooms, and control rooms. I am in Oprah's Studio- not because this was my goal, but because I took steps to manifest my dream. It feels really good, and crazy, and I'm high on all that this trip has offered me so far. Maybe I should try jumping off a building- I think I'd fly.


I leave Brent and Alex. I tell them part of my ending, and they both say "Oh that's good!" That makes me feel good. Brent gives me some great info about the show, and how it runs, and in exchange I give him a bottle of good wine. He keeps refusing- saying he just wanted to give me a tour, but I win eventually, and he takes it. It makes me feel good to give him a gift- how sweet he is for sharing his Sunday with some kooky girl from California, with a kooky idea, and dream. I am glad he did. A definite highlight to this whole experience.


I am back on my way. Heading out to get Cooper, and all of the sudden this crazy weather hits the HWY. I get a text from Brent saying "you may want to wait to lead until this storm passes" But I am already on the highway. People are slowing, hazards are on, and it's scary dark. The sky is dark and gray, and I am not sure what is happening. I don't know if it's a hurricane, a tornado, or just a summer storm. I am from California- this is something I never see. I video tape it for a minute- we are at crawling speed. Then I get scared because everyone else has stopped on the side of the road, so i do the same. I hang out in the middle of nowhere on the shoulder. It lets up a little, and I see that it's probably just a summer storm- plus I text Brent, and that's what he tells me. I carry on.


I call my mom. I haven't spoken to her in awhile.
Early on my journey- before I left, she was full of worry and angst. I love her a ton, but we think much differently. I know we are from different generations, and venturing off on my own seems so scary for her. I try to remind her that I've managed my life pretty well, and I know how to take care of myself, but none of that matters. She worries, regardless. So I tell her that if she brings her worry to me- I won't tell her anything anymore. I really wasn't sure if she was listening, but it seems she has. Mostly, when we talk she asks how it's all going, but doesn't say 'Why don't you just come home!" We fill the line up mostly, with how Cooper is handling things, and how the cats back home are doing. This is safe ground for us. So, as I am talking to her about the cats, and how they are hiding outside, I feel my steering jerk to the right. I also hear the road underneath me change sounds, but I figure that this is a switch of concrete because I have just gone from the hwy to an interchange, but it sounds like this for a while. I don't tell my mother anything, other than- "Let me call you back!" There's a warning on the dash that reads 'Tire needs pressure!" and as i am realizing what may have just happened, a lady drives by, and mouths "Your tire!" Minutes ago-I was considering jumping off a building and flying. Life is so this way.


Did I mention that it is still raining. I am in a short skirt, nice top, and my make-up is done. Not really the look you want to have on the side of a desolate road. I definitely, am not calling my mother back.
I get out in the rain, and check the tire. I have never seen anything like it. The whole tire is gone! and remember when I thought it was low- the right rear tire? Yup, should have trusted myself. Should have listened to that inner voice! So, here I sit. Stranded, and tireless, and I'm literally in the middle of nowhere. I do however, have cell reception. Phew!


I call AAA. They ask me my location. I cannot see the next exit. It's at least a half a mile up the road. My GPS won't give me the location, so I need to walk. I walk to where I can read the sign, and then walk back. It's pouring out, I am getting wet. My skirt is short. This is all bad! I wanted to look cute for Harpo- can you blame me? I told you that sometimes I don't think through things well, right? This might be one of those times.


I tell the lady, and she says they'll have someone out there in 45 minutes. I wait- in the car.


A large black truck pulls up behind me about 15 minutes later. A fine gentleman knock on my window. I wonder if it's Sawyer Brown's brother? Anyway, this man at my window wants to help me. He says he saw me walking. He must have seen me, got off the freeway, got back on and took the interchange. It was not an easy process. So he's either really helpful, and concerned (probably), looking for a date (possibly), or dangerous (maybe). Unfortunately, for me and him- I am no longer on my trusting track. I barely roll down my window, and tell him help is minutes away. Aren't you proud of me? I'm learning!  I tried to capture the moment as best I could in this video.

Okay, so went to WalMart- fixed the tire, got some supplies, and things are back to square one. Now to get Cooper. What a day.  I'll get my buddy, get my trailer, and drive into the night. Not my original plan, but now I need to make up some time. Did I mention- I decide to head home through South Dakota? I want to avoid Wyoming, and that boring trip. Plus- I need to see those stone faces!































1 comment:

  1. best not to show Jen the tire,,,and really not a good idea to show her said tire inside her nice clean car :)

    ReplyDelete