Sunday, August 5, 2012

End of the Trip= The Beginning of Everything Else.

Cooper and I were happy to finally get home. I'll sum up my last days quickly here. I went home thru South Dakota. It was a long nights drive, and after the blown tire, and picking up Cooper- I really felt like I had to make up for lost time. I drove through Iowa, and then Minnesota, and on thru South Dakota. I spent the night, got up early and made it to South Dakota. I was so glad I went. I stayed at a great camp ground. I loved it! Probably the best nights sleep since Donner pass- and it was because it was not a KOA. I know that KOA camping is much safer, but I hate it, and so did Cooper. I feel like I need to hike my shorts up just a little bit higher, and talk a little bit louder in these places. I'm not one for making neighbors with my fellow campers. I don't get these folks.

I couldn't drive into the park- but I did see the faces when I drove past. That was enough. I got to think of a very funny line that will be used in the script just because I saw this. It was worth it. Cooper however, is done! I'm getting there. I want to be home. Plus, Joe (the tear drop owner calls) and asks where I am. I actually, forgot to call him and remind him I was keeping the trailer until the fourth- but I also didn't realize it was already the third. With all my driving, I forgot the dates. Could my character underestimate time?? A possible idea for my characters time crunch.

I drive a total of 25 hours from July 3rd to the 4th. I'm tired, but more than anything I am feeling bad for Cooper. At one point, I drive a good 150 miles without seeing a gas station, and I'm squeezing every last drop out of this tank. Thank God for my trucker behind me- I have a pretty good idea he has stayed behind me for this reason. He's done this long trek, and knows there's nothing ahead. I find a scary station outside an even scarier motel. My trucker drives by and I wave. He honks. I'm safe.


I head on out, and pass thru a cute little town. I get stopped in road construction and meet Andrew- my 23 year old road buddy. He's heading to California- from Connecticut. Don't get any weird ideas. He's not my Thelma and Brad Pitt moment. But we do prod each other on, and have dinner together. Sweet young guy, and good to have someone on the road.


It's the fourth. I am outside of Salt Lake City. I get going early- head through Reno, and Donner Pass, and make it to Petaluma to drop off the trailer. Joe couldn't be nicer. I tell him about Wyoming, and ruining his tire chocks, and also that Cooper slept in the trailer one nigh because I was scared. He is so sweet- and says it was a good enough excuse. I told him I'd be renting it again- it was just so much fun.


I decide that it's the fourth, and I will stop off and have dinner again at J&S Winery. My friend Andrew
 helped me make this decision. He said, "It's the 4th of July! Celebrate it with a friend!" Good advice. I celebrate with my first fast food of the trip also. I drive through San Fran. and actually drive right passed my daughters apartment. She's in Bali- but it's still nice to feel the familiarity. Home, Home..I can almost smell it.


I make it to Jason's. We eat, I shower, and literally fall asleep. I miss all firework festivities. Thanks Kee and Jase for letting me off the hook.

I wake up and leave. I make it home by noon. I am so excited to drive into my driveway. But Cooper- is more thrilled. He almost falls and hurts himself getting out of the car. He runs toward the door- and immediately lays on my bathroom floor and sleeps. I clean things up, even take the car to the car wash, go to Fish Co with my parents and Jennifer, and go home and sleep.


July 5th- my journey is done. But it also just begins. I am inspired, and ready to conquer this script. It's my goal these next few months to finish it, and rewrite it, and rewrite it, and start pitching it. I hope to get a manager, and sell it. It's not going to be easy. I'm hoping to include you all in my process of writing, and how things happen from conception to the actual selling of a script. So, our journey doesn't really end here. Come along for the ride- I'd love to share it all with you.




Thanks for holding me up when I thought I was going to turn around. Thanks for the encouragement, and the spirit of adventure. I can't wait for more.

No comments:

Post a Comment