Wednesday, June 27, 2012

First days journey

I think I may have misspoken in my first posting. I said you could ride along in the passenger seat- it's too full- there's no room, sorry! Did I have amnesia on Sunday when I was packing? I brought clothes that are good for a nice hotel-and a lot of them. Well, I'm not a camper...I like nice sheets. Mostly, I like home- that is why this is such a big journey for me. 


The plan, however was to leave Monday, but in my wisdom-and scattered plans- it changed to Sunday. So many "planny" people would hate to travel with me. But Sunday "early" turned into Sunday late. After straightening up and sealing down the hatch at home for the house- sitter, and listening to my mom's millionth "You sure you can make it to San Francisco?" I was spent. But when the car is packed- you definitely don't want to go back and lay your head back down on your pillow, and wait til morning. I needed to go!!! So I called a friend of mine who owns a winery J&S Winery outside of San Luis, and ask if he minds me staying the night- you may have heard of it?. He doesn't only oblige- he stays awake until 1:30 am with a warm cup of tea. 


Outside of J&S Winery. Great Town.
I love how Cooper  is looking-
as if he understands the journey!
Here's the thing, I am learning and continue to learn- journeys don't happen on time. I know those of you that know me are saying "Nothing happens with her- on time!" I'm a horrible keeper of time. I've learned to accept it over the years because it is not in arrogance. It is not that I think my time is more important than others. In fact it is just the opposite. I used to beat myself up and feel horrible about my disorganization. I'd compare myself to others that always knew where the receipts were, had their tax papers neatly in a file, and showed up with a matching set of shoes- never wondering or double checking their path behind them. I'll save it for another time- but I actually did go to a wedding with shoes on the wrong foot- pointy high heels- pointing in the wrong direction. Man that killed- and took me awhile to figure it out. I guess what I'm saying is forgive yourself for your weakest points. My script is similar to this theme. My main character is much like me in the sense that she's frazzled. She forgets to take care of herself, and says " Yes" too much- so she runs behind on herself and loses the enjoyment of the moment. I refuse to lose the enjoyment of this trip however- late or not. 


My first day was amazing. I ran late- stayed with a friend who celebrated my journey. I picked up the teardrop and packed it up. When I pulled up and saw it may have hurt it's super ego. I said, "it's so tiny!" I really thought I'd made a mistake. The more I considered it, and Joe of www.vacations-in-a-can.com showed me around the thing I was excited. 


Joe- The Tear Drop Maker
 I headed out toward Reno but made it to Donner's Pass. I was driving through the pass- finally off the congested part of the I-80 and was in awe of the trees, and silence of the road. Beautiful. Amazing! This is why I am here. This was the reason for this trek. 


My character is going to come alive slowly- she's going to remember who she once was, and embrace that strength within her. I really believe that so many of us forget along the way...that belief in ourselves we once had. The little boy or girl that said " I can fly!" or brought an umbrella to the top of the rooftop thinking they were Mary Poppins. (It didn't work, by the way)- but the power of that belief is wondrous. My character in the script has no belief in herself- She thinks she needs others (mostly men) to help her. 


Sunset at Donner Pass.....
Way to end the day!


This whole area of California is beautiful- Truckee, Donner Pass- I couldn't resist. I wanted to wake up here- so I stayed at the State Park. But I'll save Tuesdays event for tomorrow. I am inspired beyond what I would have thought. I keep thinking to myself how amazing this whole thing is- that I was so scared, but I stepped into the unknown and am having a blast. This has been one of the best trips so far and it's just begun. For all of you calling me brave- to steal the Nike motto "Just Do It" or do laundry instead! 




 See you in Nevada/ Utah ......

3 comments:

  1. Okay, I am in. I'm following. I don't call anyone. If I did, I would call you. But I will read your posts! Love you! This is brave and wonderful. I did a trip alone from Seattle to Birmingham, Alabama and I still remember the feeling. The freedom. The wonder of it all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Margaret. I'm glad you can relate. Hopefully, all this will turn into tangible research, but if not- what fun! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I need a solo trip! Maybe just to the OC to hear all the details in person...

    ReplyDelete