Saturday, June 23, 2012

The Beginning, and the journey....

My journey begins last July. I had gone through what I thought was a bad year (only to learn- it was going to get worse- but I won't share that here), but ignorance is bliss, and I thought I was at the end of it. I had just gotten on a plane, coming home from vacation in Costa Rica. My daughters, and mom and friend were on a different plane, and I took an alternate route. I sat down, and said these words quietly "Could ya throw me a bone, God!" These were the words that I felt. I needed a string, a thread of light, and a hope. In walks random guy, sits down across the aisle- we joke about the seven foot tall German brother and sister begging us to take the middle seats, and call ourselves selfish Americans. We chat for a good portion of the flight about parenthood, teaching, and strength of character, and life in general. I am feeling good- and thankful that good people like this man exist. Our Plane lands in LA. We get our bags from the overhead, and he says "My passion is to help schools get better, but my job is making movies!" And there it is....the statement that opens the door to my next year, or more....
Costa Rica. Mostly, we have no idea whats ahead...


Oddly enough, I am a teacher, but I am writing a screenplay. A secret hope, a wish, a dream. I don't want to be pushy, so I say nothing, and tell him good- bye, as he remarks "I think your girls are lucky to have you- for what it is worth!" This is a golden statement for me. I need this when times feel heavy, and I am thankful for just this. But, God threw me a bone and it wasn't a piece of kibble-something I may normally be satisfied with- I set the bar low sometimes to avoid disappointment. God Heard me plea, and wants me to have more, but I was clueless what to do with the opened door, and tried to walk the other way. So God- gives me another chance. I get stuck next to Movie Man once again. The terminal is under construction and we need to take a shuttle. I tell him my friend and I are working on a script. He hands me his card and says- you got six months, but I want to read it when your done. A lot of people in LA say they are "somebody" but rarely is it the "real deal". I can't tell you who this man is, but after looking at the card, and "googling" him when I got home. Hint: God- doesn't mess around, and for those of us who believe- He has contacts! Movie Man- it turns out works for one of the main (huge) studios in Hollywood, and is the VP for the Screen Department. He finds scripts that will get made. He said "Timberlake" is in his next movie.  I call my friend, and tell her, and she is less than inspired. But weeks and a month go by, and we haven't written anything- she can't get together, she's not motivated, and we are a bad fit for partners. I tell her I am going to write another story, and Im going to do this one on my own because it doesn't seem like she is interested- I do this over a text because I can't seem to get in contact with her, and she has rescheduled our writing session once again.. She doesn't answer my text, and I call daily because something inside of me knows she won't deal well with this. But then I think something else is wrong, and worry. But finally in a fit she texts me, with cruel and unfair words, and  ends our 25 year friendship- telling me that she is hurt that I would jump ship and go on my own. It hurt and I am sad, but I realize it's just another of many disappointments I have encountered. I am not to blame in my desire for more.


Here's what I have learned. Dreams aren't for "Someday", I was not "Some Day" dreaming. I was dreaming for Now- Today! I had an obligation- God gave Me a gift. I was moving forward, and making it happen- I had six months- now five. I learned a valuable lesson, and possible another gift from God. 

Toronto- Whom I love!
I scratched that old idea- it wasn't even a story knowing what I know now, and started over. My Movie Man knew this, but he must have seen something more, and gave me hope.  I begin exploring the story I really want to tell. The one that needs to be told. I still am clueless though. I book a flight to Toronto- Syd Field (script teacher guru) is holding a conference. A lot of people criticize him, but I don't care what people say- if someone is hungry, and there is food to be eaten- it suffices. What he taught me was helpful, and he showed me there is a lot more to writing a script than a great idea. So I left beautiful Toronto (I'll be back with my film at the festival-I am sure of it) and headed into an abyss of confusion, and discovery. In fact another gift is given on a plane ride home- I sit next to Syd Fields assistant- and he encourages me, and offers support. He gives me his card, and another connection in this new world is made. Doors open-walking through....

Home in LA- no idea, but a character with a message. No External Goal- but an internal Goal.  

My dear friend who works for a Studio in LA introduces me to a schmuck (she didn't know this) with good advice. I learn, listen and run with it.  Run because I am in a hurry, and because he is a schmuck! I buy Final Draft, I form a story, and have a weak title. I take his suggestion and take a class/workshop called Save The Cat. A great next step for me. By this time I have a story, and a goal, and after the workshop I have a clear vision of the parts. And a Killer TITLE!!! 


It's getting exciting. Still haven't written a word, and it's January, but it's going off in my head, on my board, and note cards. My student asks me daily- "Have you written your script yet?" I love that he is my accountability gauge. He wouldn't let up- Thanks, Jake.


 I am six months in.....didn't meet the goal, but I know this remark of Movie Man giving me six months was a motivator- he'll read my finished product- when it's good. 

Second Board- still sparse...
I buy a board- post it to my bedroom wall- I want to see it. It sits there untouched and eventually falls off the wall. God must be saying "Write, would you?" Get a new one, put it on the wall and fill it with notes! 


My story is about a woman and a journey, and I understand the woman, but I can't see the path she is on. I don't know the road, I don't see the people, I can't smell the air.....I'm uninspired. So, I go get my hair lightened- thats what us girls do. My Hair Master- or Guru, or whatever he calls himself- I call him friend- dear sweet friend. He chats with me. I tell him what i'm doing and struggling with and he says, "Go on the Journey!" I knew this was the answer, but I needed someone to tell me it was possible, and I wasn't a looney for thinking about it. The birth of my next two weeks was conceptualized as I was foiled, dried, and sprayed. We created the whole adventure.....


Big Fat and Happy Cooper
I leave this Sunday....I will journey from LA to Chicago. My dog Cooper and I will live in this adorable tear drop trailer which I rented from Vacations-in-a- can.com ( pictures below), and I will live and breathe my characters into this trek. They will meet people, have struggles, find joy, and become empowered. I cannot wait to discover this dream. Please join me here for the next two weeks, and then afterward, as I complete the whole script. This is my Script Trip- and so far it's been a ride. Jump in the passenger seat- let me take you with me. It's fun to live a dream.....
Inside our cozy trailer 

Can' Em Danno
See You Sunday...........



1 comment: