Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Roaryngitis.....

First night in the Tear Drop! Cozy
"Nevada- when will it end?" I think this was the comment I may have said to Cooper half way through my day. But be careful what you wish for- after Nevada comes Utah. I-80 East is pretty uneventful, except for morning.
Not much to see.
Characters will be annoyed through this






Amazing camp breakfast!!
Tuesday started off with a bang, and ended with a bunch of RV's stuck way too close together, and a patch of grass. This is what people do on vacation? But even at Donner State Park campers want to connect, and mostly I don't mind, but I'm starting to see some trends. My friend reminded me when she called and I was complaining about "campers" wanting to talk and become FB friends?!? 


She said, "Did you tell them you're camping alone for a reason?" I guess "alone" equates to lonely. Another good thing to remember when writing my character. She is a single mom (now be aware- she only resembles certain parts of my life- her story is not mine. I am traveling to Chicago because she does- not vice versa) But to answer the question of roaring, and letting people know that I don't want to talk is a problem for me, but my character doesn't yet see it as a problem- she still believes that when others ask a question, or borrow her time- she is obligated to give it. In some ways yesterday, I slunk back into passivity, as well. It's hard to stand guard of that piece of myself- I am a connector, and willing to share- but it can be overwhelming. So,  I just grinned, listened, and let an Australian elderly woman follow me around my campsite telling me her whole life story and migration into American culture. She was waiting for her husband to get back- I guess she thought I needed company while I cooked my amazing breakfast out in the middle of NOWHERE- peaceful, quiet, solitary space. Even her dog wouldn't leave us alone, and when I said my dog was too docile for her- she insisted that her 9 year old spazzy dog was just "playful". Cooper was happy when I put him on a leash, and contained him. You know when containment is a viable option- that the alternative isn't good. 



In the words of Guy Woodson, "This Tear Drop is Rad!" 


Tear Drop is holding up well. It's a conversation piece, though. But who am I kidding- I knew this. I pulled over the other day in Trader Joe's parking lot to make a sandwich and feed Cooper. I was way in the back. So many people drove by, stopped talked, pet Cooper, took pictures...who knew? Some sweet woman drove by and rolled down her window and said "You're a curiosity!" Asked if I was having fun, and I said "An absolute blast!" 



















Winnemucca, Nevada.
A town with bad names!
I'm more inspired now than ever before. I hard a long stretch of nothingness to think about my story. I feel sorry for my characters driving through these parts. They won't be as carefree and happy as Cooper and me. I realized yesterday when ruminating over something a friend  said to me. He said "You're a women who roars!" It's funny to hear this. Helen Reddy's song was one of my favorites when I was little. I used to sing it at the top of my lungs. and also that one "I can bring home the bacon, fry it up in a pan...." I was always this way- pushing past what seemed normal, or traditional. My mom even asked me once when I was playing Barbies. Barbie was driving a sporty orange Porche, and Ken was in the passenger seat. My mom said, Are you going to get married some day and your husband will buy you a Porche?" Definitely a sign of the 70's thinking- but I was seven, and tradition was all I saw. I clearly remember being insulted by this statement- I said "I'm buying my own Porche!" 




I roar! Sometimes- I wonder what happens if I get roaryngitis? My character has a case of this, and it's chronic for her passed down from generations of taking it, nicely! By the time she gets to Chicago-she better roar!!! I'm looking for hints along the way to help her. 




Saw this in Winnemucca, Nevada. I'd just love to live on this street! 


Clean and crowded.
 Getting out of here without breakfast.
I'll stop elsewhere.



Okay- today I am heading out of Salt Lake City- into heat. Wyoming, and Nebraska today. Should I get an Omaha Steak. I think I need to go to a bar and grab a stiff drink in cow country....I will keep you posted!

5 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for letting me borrow your time Tuesday morning at Donner. I enjoyed our conversation to no end. I'm now along for the ride too. Its always about the journey, the destinations are the added bonus. Reach out if you're inclined. I'd love to talk more about stories, each of our scripts and journey. Safe travels, Kirk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome. It makes the journey nice to meet people of like mind. It's always a reminder to me when I travel. :)

      Delete
  2. This blog is fantastic!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a spiritual journey and a cleansing of sorts! God's speed on your journey, I can't wait to see the movie and read the book. Heather's Uncle Charles......near Chicago.

    June 28, 2012 5:56 PM

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Uncle Charles. It feels outside of myself, for sure. Some times you just cannot explain things, and have to know that you are a vessel for another source. That is how this feels- I'm a willing soul, that is answering a call.

      Delete